12 people admitted after taking ‘poisoned food’

The Standard, 29 August 2012: Twelve people have been admitted at Ortum Mission Hospital in Pokot Central after eating poisoned food.

The victims developed pains in the stomach after taking mandazi and tea at Murieng trading centre near Ortum town. Dominic Yaran told The Standard from his hospital bed that he started developing pains barely ten minutes after taking the meal.

A nurse at the hospital, Ms Winnie Imetur, said the patients were suffering from food poisoning but were responding well to treatment.

Pokot Central District Public Heath Officer Mark Kenei said samples have been dispatched to Nairobi for chemical analysis.

“We have collected samples from the hotel and sent the same to Nairobi. We have also closed down the hotel and condemned food,” said Kenei. The owner of the hotel has since gone underground and police have launched a manhunt.

Sources said the oil used to prepare the food was given to the needy in West Pokot County.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply